We are looking for a Technical Director to join the team here at Dovetail Games. You will lead, support and mentor the Studio’s Lead and Senior Programmers to help overcome technical issues, drive and support best practices and efficiencies across our games, and set clear guidelines/expectations for the studio’s games and services.
At Dovetail Games we are passionate about empowering our people to build beautiful worlds, create breath-taking games and do the best work of their career to deliver our vision: “By Enthusiasts, For Enthusiasts”.
We are growing fast, developing our games using cutting-edge Unreal Engine 4 technology and delivering these on multiple platforms: PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
- The quality of technical deliverables for all studio UE4 titles
- Shaping and driving the future technical roadmap and requirements for the studio
- Lead, coach and mentor the studio’s Lead Programmers
- Approve technical designs for all high-risk/high-impact systems across the studio’s development teams
- Embody and drive the overall engineering culture within the studio
- Set and enforce professional software development standards and best practices, across all engineering teams within the studio
- Work within the development teams code to optimise, fix and establish strong stable code base on PC, Sony and Microsoft platforms
- Oversee the technical aspect of 1st party submission process
- Work with art, content and programming teams to help optimise and achieve the best performance of the game
- Work closely with project leads to define the titles’ technical requirements, constraints, risks and opportunities – including all technical architecture and production process choices
- Co-operate with Dovetail’s leadership team to define and manage change processes
- Facilitate the sharing of technical knowledge and learnings across the studio’s development teams, looking for opportunities to re-use solutions and efficiency across projects at every opportunity
- Identify and manage technical risks, opportunities and productivity improvements from the integration of 1st and 3rd party tools and middleware including Epic’s Unreal across the studio’s titles
- Identify and manage technical dependencies and risks for the studio
- Stay abreast of global technology advancements to identify opportunities to progress Dovetail Games at a qualitative and business level
- Be the external face of our technology – evangelist and champion of the studio’s technologies and its engineering teams
- Help define, and actively participate in, recruitment strategies to develop a world class Programming team
What we look for in you
- You are seen as an expert in game systems programming with excellent C++ knowledge
- Experienced in the video game industry on AAA games
- Advanced experience and knowledge in core engine development, networking, multiplayer, gameplay, and tool development
- Shipped multiple games as a Senior or Lead Programmer with relevant experience on XboxOne and PS4 platform
- Experience with modern commercial games engines such as Unreal Engine 4 or Frostbite industry examples
- Able to communicate about technical subjects to other disciplines
- A proven track record in building, managing and growing engineering teams capable of delivering AAA experiences across platforms
- An appreciation of the roles, responsibilities and challenges across the entire development discipline spectrum requisite to delivering AAA entertainment experiences
- Intimate knowledge of technical considerations in delivering live services, both for client and server
- Experience balancing technical, team, product and business requirements with successful outcomes
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent
Why work for us?
We are committed to promoting equal opportunities and diversity, and all applicants will be considered on their merit, qualifications, competence and talent regardless of any protected characteristics.
- You will have a direct and significant impact on the future of our games
- You’ll experience an environment where you will be challenged but supported
- We have an industry leading work-life balance
- We are developing games across multiple platforms using cutting edge technology
- Competitive salary and benefits