Role: Senior Game Designer
We are looking to recruit a Senior Designer for our Unreal Engine 4 simulations. You will mentor the design team, assist in the planning, detailing and delivery of high-quality gameplay. You will help establish standards for formal design documentation and use your skills to evaluate and iterate upon our simulation’s tools and pipelines. You will also play a major role in setting the future design roadmap of both Train Sim World and Fishing Sim World, working closely with the Production team to achieve these goals.
The successful candidate will have significant experience working in the games industry in a design role with good technical abilities, substantial knowledge of the UE4 editor and excellent attention to detail.
At Dovetail Games we are passionate about empowering our people to build beautiful worlds, craft breath-taking games and do the best work of their career to deliver our vision: “By Enthusiasts, For Enthusiasts”.
We have just moved into a brand new river-front studio in the heart of the Historic Dockyard in Kent, UK. We are growing fast, developing our games using cutting-edge technology and delivering these on multiple platforms: PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
- Understand consumer needs and ensure that the elements developed by the design team will contribute to player satisfaction and enjoyment
- Communicate projects design objectives, strategies and future roadmap to all team members and senior studio management team
- Lead the implementation effort in the UE4 Editor to push simulation experiences, pipelines and processes and ensure these high-quality objectives are maintained
- Actively participate and act as a regular liaison in the decision-making process with management and oversee the necessary adjustments to ensure that the game design team meets expectations
- Closely work with Development Management team to ensure capacity planning and scope management are inline with projects goals and expectations
- Supervise and be responsible for ensuring all design documentation is clearly communicated and properly structured to ensure full team alignment around these concepts can occur
- Mentor and support career advancement of design team
- Use reference tools and documentation to ensure authentically accurate fishing and rail experiences
- Critically review designs and tools functionality at each stage of development to improve processes
What we look for in you
- Significant professional experience in the games industry in a game design role
- Intimate knowledge and practical use of UE4 and UE4 Blueprints is a requirement
- At least 1 globally launched game as the primary designer or project leader
- Experience and personal involvement in all stages of a game’s development from concept to implementation to user testing and beyond
- A willingness to take on all aspects of simulation games design production from being individually focussed on high concept tasks to tweaking and balancing game data in engine
- Perceptive with feedback, ready to iterate, and able to overcome ingrained concepts and tropes
- Must be a creative but practical problem solver
- Must be resourceful, self-motivated and organised and able to foster a motivating working environment for all team members
Why work for us?
We are committed to promoting equal opportunities and diversity, and all applicants will be considered on their merit, qualifications, competence and talent regardless of any protected characteristics.
- You will have a direct and significant impact on the future of our games
- You’ll experience an environment where you will be challenged but supported
- We have an industry leading work-life balance
- We are developing games across multiple platforms using cutting edge technology
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Pension scheme
- Eye-care vouchers
- Free parking
- Free fruit, tea & coffee and a stocked pantry
- Access to funded fitness events and health checks.
- Regular social, sporting, and charity fundraising events